We are an association of enthusiasts with a shared passion for wooden boats. Within that general definition our members represent a broad range of boats and special interests encompassing -
- Boats ranging from 100 years old to those barely begun.
- Boats powered by sail, steam, diesel, oars or paddles.
- Ultra-light canoes and kayaks thru putt-putts, trailer sailers, thru to large boats on permanent moorings.
- Both new constructions and restorations.
- Construction techniques including Stitch & Glue, Strip Plank, Lap-strake Ply, Traditional Clinker.
Our members variously enjoy designing, building, sailing, messing about in and talking about wooden boats. We welcome all current and potential wooden boat enthusiasts to our association. Our subscription is inexpensive, our activities are varied and interesting, and our culture is open, friendly and inclusive.
The main aims of the WBAQ are:
To foster and promote an active interest in all matters relating to the history, development and future, and the building, restoration and preservation of wooden boats in Queensland;
To encourage and promote contact with interstate and overseas organizations with similar interests;
Please scroll to bottom of page for membership information
From our archives
- 12th TWEED CLASSIC BOAT REGATTA
12th TWEED CLASSIC BOAT REGATTA 5-7th October 2012 by Ian Primrose The Regatta started in the traditional way on Friday evening with a meet'n'greet cruising up Tweed on the "MV Golden Swan". There were 27 "official" entries for the Regatta plus a few "tag-alongs" and a couple of non-starters It was a 9 am start up the River on Saturday for most with a few stragglers slow off the mark. There was a good mix of boats including putt-putts, motor launches, sailing boats and outboard propelled jobs. T...